VCE Virginia Beach Master Gardener Tree Stewards
Legacy Tree Planting Grant Program
Legacy Tree Planting Grant Program
The Virginia Beach Master Gardener (VBMG) Tree Stewards are volunteer partners with the Virginia Cooperative Extension Service dedicated to encouraging and promoting environmentally sound and sustainable horticulture practices through education and funding. Our Tree Stewards’ grant program is designed to help our community partners in their efforts toward increasing Virginia Beach’s urban canopy ‘one tree at a time’. Funds are available from the Virginia Beach Master Gardener Association (VBMGA). This program aims to provide grant money to non-profit organizations for the purpose of acquiring and planting a tree in the City of Virginia Beach. Applications are accepted between July 1 and October 1.
Grant Program Description:
The program is for the benefit of a non-profit organization located in VA Beach (i.e., garden club, society, HRAREC, etc.) or City of Virginia Beach affiliated / municipal locations such as historic houses, city owned municipal and neighborhood parks, schools, etc. The general public, homeowners, commercial entities and Virginia Beach Master Gardeners are not eligible to apply. To qualify, applicants must meet all Grant Criteria provided below.
Depending on the number of applications received and total funds available, the administrator may adjust awards. Applicants may request an amount for multiple trees, one single tree or actual tree cost. As a general guideline, grants are awarded in $50 or $100 increments. In the event more applications are received than grant funds available, applications may be awarded on a first-come, first-served basis and in consideration of previous grant recipients.
Funds must be used to purchase tree(s) for a pre-approved project. Applicant may be the property owner, project manager or other approving official. Applicant is responsible for site selection, site preparation and proper tree installation. Tree installation should be scheduled while tree is in dormancy (November 30 – March 1). A “Right Tree / Right Place” brochure can be downloaded from our website on VBMG.org to assist with planning.
The grant administrator is not involved in the project planning or pre-approval process. There are no reporting requirements however, we ask grant recipients to share pictures of legacy tree planting for our website to encourage and educate others about the program. We also ask grant recipients to be responsible stewards of the newly planted tree with post-planting care to encourage the long-term health of the tree.
Application deadline is October 1. Applications will be reviewed and approved by the grant administrator. Application status will be communicated no later than October 31. Funds are disbursed by November 30.
Administrator reserves the right to reject incomplete applications or applications that do not meet grant criteria. Upon receipt of an application, VBMG volunteer may visit the planting site as part of review process, to ensure “Right Tree / Right Place” or provide feedback to the applicant as needed.
- Program is for non-profit organizations (i.e., garden club, horticulture society, beautification society, HRAREC, etc.) or City of Virginia Beach affiliated / municipal locations such as historic houses, city owned municipal and neighborhood parks, schools, churches, etc. This program is not open to the general public, homeowners, commercial businesses, or Virginia Beach Master Gardeners.
- Application must be for a pre-approved project that permits tree installation. (i.e., Miss Utility, etc.)
- Application must include appropriate tree selection for site (mature size and variety, etc.)
- Application must include planned installation date while tree is dormant (Nov. 30 – March 1).
- Application must be received from approving party or project manager and include contact information.
- Applicant is responsible for additional resources for successful installation and post-planting tree care.
- Please include check payee name and address with your completed application.
Click below to download application:
|File Size:||670 kb|